Thursday, February 5, 2009

Race

This week in class, I was surprised to learn about Race. We have learned through the school systems about the racial problems the Blacks faced with the Whites. After doing the readings, I realized how our minds are effected by how the media portrays an individual. The thought has never crossed my mind that Sandra O or Michelle Kwan were a "different" race. It also embarrasses me how my white ancestors looked at blacks. The video we watched made me realize how bad it probably was during the early years. To know that blacks had to darken their skin and widen their smiles due to our portrayal of them is sickening. I do feel that blacks and other races still face racial problems, but I also feel that young children are being taught that there isn't a difference between white, yellow, and black skin!

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing as we were watching that video. The fact that those stereotypes were so widely published was sad. It just made it that much harder for them than it already was.

    ReplyDelete